10 Things you Probably didn’t know about Ernest Hemingway
1. He was a failed KGB Spy
2. He once took a urinal home from his favorite bar and moved it into his Key West home, arguing that he had “pissed away” so much of his money into the urinal that he owned it.
3. Was known to use a machine gun on sharks to stop them eating his catch, and in 1938 he established a world record by catching seven marlin in one day.
4. He survived through anthrax, malaria, pneumonia, skin cancer, hepatitis, anemia, diabetes, two plane crashes (on consecutive days), a ruptured kidney, a ruptured spleen, a ruptured liver, a crushed vertebra, a fractured skull, and more. In the end, the only thing that could kill Hemingway it would seem, was himself.
5. Killed himself with his favorite shotgun bought from Abercrombie & Fitch.
6. Was charged with war crimes under the Geneva Convention when he took command and led of a group of French militia into battle against the Nazis.
7. In the Florida Keys, there are a lot of 6-toed cats, because Ernest Hemingway’s cat “got around” a lot.
8. Once examined F. Scott Fitzgerald’s penis in a cafe toilet and assured him it was of “normal” size.
9. His brother founded a nation off the coast of Jamaica that consisted of a raft and 7 citizens. It had currency, postage, and a constitution.
10. There’s an Ernest Hemingway lookalike society that holds yearly contests.